A girl that I work with was bitten by a black widow while working a few days ago. Not a huge deal since it is SoCal where black widows, among other spider species, are common. Also not that devastating of a situation seeing as she only sustained swelling and mild discomfort. The most frustrating aspect of the entire ordeal is that fact that our organization has decided to drastically increase their application of insecticides. They intend to do so by having our contracted pest control company come to spray in more areas of our building and on a more frequent basis.
I am so disturbed by this response, considering the building itself is old and extremely dirty. Rather than cleaning and approaching a potential bug problem with a natural, common-sense approach, our management, who is not health conscious in the least, went with the quick fix. I understand that pesticides and insecticides are household products that countless citizens use in their homes without thought. However, I am not one of them and I do not appreciate having to be exposed to toxins based on others’ ignorance. I wish people would educate themselves regarding the risks of exposure to chemicals and be more aware of how they were taking care of themselves and one another.